Sunday, June 13, 2021

Week 4 USF, Karen Asplund

    For week 4 we stayed at USF St Petersburg. On day one, we did a review on all things open ocean and learned about Dr. Judkins and her work. On day two was one of the more exciting days, with all of us doing an open water study on the R//V Weatherbird II. We met the crew, who all made sure that we were comfortable and fed on our journey out to the first site. After using some really heavy duty equipment, and then sorting and identifying the specimens, we moved onto our second site. We did the same procedure there, and found some really interesting animals in each location. On the third day, we inputed all the data from the cruise and started to work on our presentations. The fourth day, after spending some time on the presentations we visited the Florida Aquarium to conduct some ethograms. The aquarium definitely succeeds in their aim to represent the waters of Florida through flora and fauna. I also enjoyed spending some time looking at their art installations regarding plastic pollution. The last day, we looked at our plankton samples and presented. I worked with April and we chose to present about Crab population and richness in Offshore and Nearshore Tampa. 

    Through this week, I was challenged in both how well I could keep my food down and how well I can present. It was really interesting to learn about how offshore studies are done and what kind of data we can gather from them. Something interesting I learned this week was that animal behavior is interesting to me and I might want to specify in it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog and UWF Week - Alyssa Cotten

This course has been amazing and exceeded all of my expectations. I'm fairly new into my marine biology degree and have not had much exp...