Monday, June 14, 2021

USFSP Week - Nicky Kemp

 

Our week at University of South Florida St. Petersburg showed me a lot of things I liked about marine science. I had never thought all that much about cephalopods until this week. Hearing Dr. Judkins talk about her career really opened my eyes about the different aspects of this field. First thing I realized during this week is that cephalopods are REALLY cool. A large majority of Dr. Judkins research was spending weeks out at sea. I had never been seasick before this course began but going out on the Weatherbird made me sick for a second time throughout these 4 weeks. This made me realize that having a career that requires me to be out at sea for long periods of time may not be the best thing for me. I really enjoyed being on the Weatherbird after I stopped feeling so sick! Since I really enjoyed being out there besides the seasickness, I may just have to get used to being out at sea if that is what is in my future.

During this week I realized I need to improve on my presentation skills. My anxiety holds me back from giving proper presentations. Dr. Judkins helped the class improve on these skills by giving constructive comments after each group was done presenting. This was very helpful so I can be better in the future.

I would potentially like to come back to USFSP for graduate school. I really enjoyed working with Dr. Judkins, I wish I were able to take some of the classes she mentioned during our time there.

- Nicky







No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog and UWF Week - Alyssa Cotten

This course has been amazing and exceeded all of my expectations. I'm fairly new into my marine biology degree and have not had much exp...