Saturday, June 19, 2021

Last Week UWF - Nicky Kemp

 

    Finishing up our final week in Pensacola was a great way to end the course. Throughout this trip we have boated through salt marshes, snorkeled in the keys, walked through mangroves, studied on the Weatherbird, and studied watershed. Each place we visited was so unique and special. I have lived my entire life in South Florida so when we first arrived in Pensacola, I was amazed at how it did not look like Florida. The dense trees covering the rolling hills was something I had never seen in Florida before.

    Working with Dr. Caffrey and Barbara was an amazing experience, they are both extremely knowledgeable about watershed and Pensacola’s environment. On Monday we explored various creeks, we learned how important these creeks are for our nearby beaches. I did not know much about this because I have not been around many river systems. On Tuesday we walked through Tarkiln Bayou where we learned about longleaf pine trees. I never thought about how long it takes for these beautiful trees to grow. We could measure the diameter of the tree and enter the number into an equation, and it would give us an estimate on how old this longleaf pine is, I thought that was very interesting. I also had no idea how important fires are for longleaf pines. After walking through Tarkiln Bayou we went to GUIS and did seagrass monitoring before we were rained out. On Wednesday we woke up very early and used a drone to look for stingrays. It was interesting to be able to use a drone and see so clearly what was in the water. After the using the drone, we drove to a shorebird nesting site and watched black skimmers sit on their nests. On Thursday we did seagrass surveys and then listened to UWF students talk about their sea turtle research. Friday, we wrapped up with presentations on watershed about the places we have visited throughout this course.

    I am very happy that I fought my imposters syndrome and decided to take this course. I learned so much that will help me for years to come. I have a new family now and I will miss seeing everyone every day.  




- Nicky Kemp 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog and UWF Week - Alyssa Cotten

This course has been amazing and exceeded all of my expectations. I'm fairly new into my marine biology degree and have not had much exp...