Saturday, June 19, 2021

FIO Grand Finale

  After an incredible five weeks, our time in the FIO course has unfortunately come to an end.  I've had the great honor of learning from a group of tremendously knowledgeable professors and my outstanding peers. With each week, regardless of the topic, I was able to learn various methods of data collection. These methods included recording both quantitative and qualitative data, as well as how to best display our findings.

During our week at UNF, I was introduced to the YSI and how to properly record and collect water quality data. While it was initially intimidating to operate, I soon felt comfortable handling that piece of equipment and calibrating it. In the Keys, I was taught how to identify a variety of species by utilizing field guides. While this skill may seem simple in retrospect, I had never had to differentiate a species based on minute physical characteristics or based on my own recollection. While staying at FGCU, I became familiar with groundwater sampling techniques. Several tools were used prior to using the YSI to analyze the quality of groundwater. This included the groundwater sampling kit, a pump, an auger, a Trimble, and a water level meter. I also became familiar with ethograms while staying at USF, which I thoroughly enjoyed. The ethograms allowed qualitative data, such as types of behavior, to become statistical pieces of data. During our week at UWF, I learned how to use a transect and how to record the percentages within it. I was also taught the importance of properly placing the transect to prevent sampling the same organisms multiple times.

After becoming familiar with a myriad of tools, I also learned how to record and display the data. Our time at UNF emphasized creating an organized data sheet format so we could later understand our findings. If the data were too messy, we were taught to transfer it onto a new clean sheet. This could only be done after writing “transcribed” onto the original document. While at USF, the importance of using an ANOVA correctly was highlighted as it indicates if there's a significant relationship in the data. This statistical test can show support for a null hypothesis, making it an important skill to know. I also learned the importance of graphically displaying data. Using the incorrect type of graph can undermine data and confuse an audience.

While these skills may seem obvious to a seasoned biologist, most of these experiences were a first for me. Learning how to operate these pieces of equipment and how to best manipulate and record data are invaluable skills that I can’t wait to use again. This course has only strengthened my passion for marine biology and motivated me to continue in this field.

Snorkeling in the Keys with a juvenile reef shark


Using a YSI in the Tolomato River

Identifying seagrass species within a transect

Best Fishes,

     Syd Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog and UWF Week - Alyssa Cotten

This course has been amazing and exceeded all of my expectations. I'm fairly new into my marine biology degree and have not had much exp...